Saturday, April 26, 2008

Big Needs (a celebration of grace)

I recently shared the story about the rummage sale/scrambled egg couch with a friend. She liked the story and said, "Those who live with big needs, they understand a good gift."

Wow. That really struck me. Don't all of us live with big needs? Or shouldn't we? Do any of us deserve the priceless gift of life and salvation that we have been given?

Fortunately, I have enough deficiencies within my own abilities to require daily God-size servings of grace.

Fortunately? (Did she say fortunately?) Yes, I did. No, I don't get some sick pleasure out of constantly falling short of my goals and realizing my human limitations. In fact, it's a constant source of frustration for me. But there, in my imperfections, is where I really learn to lean on God and see His work in my life!

Do I think we all live with big needs? Yes. Do I think we all realize it? No. And I think that is absolutely tragic. Instead of trying to gloss over our imperfections, it's ok to realize that His grace is sufficient where we are insufficient, and His strength is made perfect in our weaknesses!

And fortunately, I have enough weaknesses to allow God to flex His muscles in me for a very long time. :)

No comments: